The season really started this week. I actually pinned on a number and went around in circles in a peloton with other riders. I didn't expect much out of myself but I felt pretty good. The result wasn't anything special but I'll take the good legs. The season always starts like that. I'm looking forward to more racing this weekend. It'll be good weather and the numbers will be thin because everybody will be celebrating some other holiday that we don't get down for.
I just read The Rider by Tim Krabbe. It's a novel translated from Dutch about a bike racer. It was surprisingly good. And I found this quote:
"Oh, to have been a rider then. Because after the finish all the the suffering turns to memories of pleasure, and the greater the suffering the greater the pleasure. That is Nature's payback to riders for the homage they pay her by suffering. Velvet pillows, safari parks, sunglasses: people have become woolly mice. They still have bodies that can walk for five days and four nights through a desert of snow, without food, but they accept praise for having taken a one-hour bicycle ride. 'Good for you.' Instead of expressing their gratitude for the rain by getting wet, people walk around with umbrellas. Nature is an old lady with few suitors these days, and those who wish to make use of her charms she rewards passionately."
I just read The Rider by Tim Krabbe. It's a novel translated from Dutch about a bike racer. It was surprisingly good. And I found this quote:
"Oh, to have been a rider then. Because after the finish all the the suffering turns to memories of pleasure, and the greater the suffering the greater the pleasure. That is Nature's payback to riders for the homage they pay her by suffering. Velvet pillows, safari parks, sunglasses: people have become woolly mice. They still have bodies that can walk for five days and four nights through a desert of snow, without food, but they accept praise for having taken a one-hour bicycle ride. 'Good for you.' Instead of expressing their gratitude for the rain by getting wet, people walk around with umbrellas. Nature is an old lady with few suitors these days, and those who wish to make use of her charms she rewards passionately."
And this article is appropriate for Passover. Get down with some horseradish.
Now go outside.
This is the aftermath on my bike of the flooding combined with the Ronde Van Rosey (Click through to find a route map. My team was the orange route).
1 comment:
didn't know we were going to make the cut and show up in the blog - i feel so honored!!! the photos are great! so good to see you guys.
Post a Comment