I officially unofficially started the outdoor racing season with the Ronde Van Rosey. Everyone has been saying it Rhonde De Rosey and I'm pretty sure that's not proper Flemish or Dutch. I'm not completely an expert in either but I paid enough attention while I was in Belgium to know. Enough about linguistic details, onto the ride details.
The Ronde Van Rosey was an outlaw cyclocross adventure race. I think it's a new species of racing and I hope Scott (the founder and director) keeps it up. Nobody had any idea of the route to start. Each team received a cue sheet at the start. The teams were all composite teams of three to five people. I rode with Ryan, Mike and Cary (sorry I couldn't find a blog) all by accident. I started the morning on one team, got shuttled to another and then another.
It all worked out. We all had different skills to put to the test on the course. It was supposed to be about sixty five miles. We got lost a bunch and did seventy five miles. A lot was on road but there was also a bunch of off-road sections with mud and rocks and walking. Ryan and I were the road specialists and Cary and Mike were the CX specialists. In the end it turned out that Cary was the everything specialist: navigation, mud, pavement, walking.
We yo-yoed with a few other teams until about three hours in. At that point we didn't see another team. That was also the point Cary whipped out his Iphone to help navigate. I think we may have been the fastest team to do the whole course but nobody will ever know. Our ride map is here.
It is now all a blur of u-turns and mud and laughing and suffering. There were a few time I fully flopped into the mud. There were a few stampedes through shin deep mud. There was a lot of pacelining on the road. There was a stop for a lot of high fructose corn syrup (the only time it's acceptable is when you're about to crack). We had two flats. And when we got back there was a lot of beer and more fun at The Washington Square Tavern, which hosted the pre and post ride events. The entire ride raised $705 for Bikes Not Bombs too.
I'm onto real road racing this week. And preparation for Passover. To help you prepare for Passover, check this out.
The Ronde Van Rosey was an outlaw cyclocross adventure race. I think it's a new species of racing and I hope Scott (the founder and director) keeps it up. Nobody had any idea of the route to start. Each team received a cue sheet at the start. The teams were all composite teams of three to five people. I rode with Ryan, Mike and Cary (sorry I couldn't find a blog) all by accident. I started the morning on one team, got shuttled to another and then another.
It all worked out. We all had different skills to put to the test on the course. It was supposed to be about sixty five miles. We got lost a bunch and did seventy five miles. A lot was on road but there was also a bunch of off-road sections with mud and rocks and walking. Ryan and I were the road specialists and Cary and Mike were the CX specialists. In the end it turned out that Cary was the everything specialist: navigation, mud, pavement, walking.
We yo-yoed with a few other teams until about three hours in. At that point we didn't see another team. That was also the point Cary whipped out his Iphone to help navigate. I think we may have been the fastest team to do the whole course but nobody will ever know. Our ride map is here.
It is now all a blur of u-turns and mud and laughing and suffering. There were a few time I fully flopped into the mud. There were a few stampedes through shin deep mud. There was a lot of pacelining on the road. There was a stop for a lot of high fructose corn syrup (the only time it's acceptable is when you're about to crack). We had two flats. And when we got back there was a lot of beer and more fun at The Washington Square Tavern, which hosted the pre and post ride events. The entire ride raised $705 for Bikes Not Bombs too.
I'm onto real road racing this week. And preparation for Passover. To help you prepare for Passover, check this out.
No comments:
Post a Comment