I find that I don't really get days off. Sure, Shiri works hard at her office and then come home and plays hard with Niv and helps me out. And I appreciate it. But even when she's home I'm still in my office. I feel like I'm back in school when there was always something to catch up on. When I was working full time I could come home and kick it. Dishes? No problem. Cooking? I'd love to. Organizing our disorganized pile of (insert thing here)? Done. Now that's what I do constantly and I never leave that disorganized pile of (insert thing here).
On Sunday I spent most of the day away from home (and Niv and Shiri) racing at the Quabbin Reservoir 120 Mile Classic. It was jumping out of the furnace into the flame. But it was a different burn, which I welcomed. But now I'm pretty tired still. That's because it was the longest race I've ever done in the US. And it was a super strong field too. And I feel pretty good about the job I did.
During the race, maybe two hours into it, I said to a friend that I don't remember the course being so hilly. I raced there the year before. He said it was because I was looking through a 120 mile lens this time. And then after the race he told me I raced well for an old man with a kid.
It didn't feel like a long time on the bike. There was plenty of action. Sometimes a one hour ride feels longer than this race did. For a race this long I would need someone to pass me a bottle or two. Fortunately, there were two vehicles with neutral water. Unfortunately, I never got any from them and never even saw them. Fortunately, an old teammate gave me a bottle.
The race itself is a blur of critical moments, mostly of us going from ridiculous speed to ludicrous speed. The final critical moment for me was about 10km from the finish on the last climb before the finish climb. The peloton went bananas (at least it felt that way) and I had nothing left even though I was pushing the pedals as hard as I could. I actually saw stars. Then I got split off and rode in alone. I just got outclassed right at the end. It was great to such a long race this early in the year.
Check out this post from the official US DOT blog. I was really impressed with it.
My brother-in-law Keith thinks the mascot below looks like the winter version of me. He even made it public knowledge on the Twitter account of the television station he works for.
On Sunday I spent most of the day away from home (and Niv and Shiri) racing at the Quabbin Reservoir 120 Mile Classic. It was jumping out of the furnace into the flame. But it was a different burn, which I welcomed. But now I'm pretty tired still. That's because it was the longest race I've ever done in the US. And it was a super strong field too. And I feel pretty good about the job I did.
During the race, maybe two hours into it, I said to a friend that I don't remember the course being so hilly. I raced there the year before. He said it was because I was looking through a 120 mile lens this time. And then after the race he told me I raced well for an old man with a kid.
It didn't feel like a long time on the bike. There was plenty of action. Sometimes a one hour ride feels longer than this race did. For a race this long I would need someone to pass me a bottle or two. Fortunately, there were two vehicles with neutral water. Unfortunately, I never got any from them and never even saw them. Fortunately, an old teammate gave me a bottle.
The race itself is a blur of critical moments, mostly of us going from ridiculous speed to ludicrous speed. The final critical moment for me was about 10km from the finish on the last climb before the finish climb. The peloton went bananas (at least it felt that way) and I had nothing left even though I was pushing the pedals as hard as I could. I actually saw stars. Then I got split off and rode in alone. I just got outclassed right at the end. It was great to such a long race this early in the year.
Check out this post from the official US DOT blog. I was really impressed with it.
My brother-in-law Keith thinks the mascot below looks like the winter version of me. He even made it public knowledge on the Twitter account of the television station he works for.

2 comments:
that race sounds intense - i think i might be tired just from reading about it! glad it felt good - hopefully that's telling of a great season!
i love that photo...it really does look like you!
Smokin' fast! What category do you race?
Post a Comment