Sunday, June 8, 2008

I Really Just Wanted to Picnic

The race today was a bit of a mess. The course was pretty good; windy with good places to get away from the bunch. I was going to try my best to make that split and get up the road. That was not to be.

Very early in the race, on the start of the second lap, somebody crash hard. I heard later that he snapped his chain and took down a whole bunch of people with him. I didn't crash but had to lean on somebody to stay up and then put a foot down. That caused somebody to slam into my rear wheel. I started chasing back on and caught but I was wondering why it was so hard. I looked down to find my wheel rubbing my frame and brakes. That was the end of my day.

I pulled up to the team supporters to let them know that I was done. Walking back to the car I got some serious looks of pity. People are crazy about their cycling and they want everybody to get their head kicked in by racing, not by being taken out like that.

I spent the rest of the day as a spectator, a.k.a. a regular Belgian. It was pleasant; I got have a waffle and relax. Good thing I rode out to the race and home to get some training. I did get to borrow a wheel for the ride home. There are also more races.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Dude! Nice work nabbing some Euros!

If you're chasing back onto the pack with a wheel rubbing, you have to be pretty strong. I'm looking for a top ten out of you in the next couple weeks. Good luck!