I met frustration again, this time in Wetteren Ten Ede. I felt really good. I closed gaps easily, moved around in the peloton and attacked too. Everything pointed to having a good race. Then some guy made himself crash. The corner was pretty sharp but we weren't flying through it. He fell down right in front of me and I had to take the long way around him. I sprinted to try to catch up but I started out in way too big a gear. That gear would have been just fine if he didn't crash and I didn't detour. That split second was critical and the field got a gap. For the next two laps I rode like a madman to catch up but I knew that barring a miracle I didn't have a chance to get back to the field.
That wasn't even the scariest moment for me during the race. One of the roads was concrete with a seam running down the middle. You either rode on the left or right side, not too close to it. Everybody hopped over it. At one point I went to the right side of it and the rider in front of me came over just a moment later. He hooked the inside of his elbow on my brake lever and nearly pulled me down; I swerved all over the road at 25mph. It got a roar out of the guys behind us but that was it. He apologized and we shook hands.
I think there is good chance had that happened in the US the guy would have pulled me down and crash out 20 other people. Then an argument would break out and it would be ugly. But it's just in a day's racing here.
We also had a new rider for the race, Evan. He's fresh from Australia and looked really strong. It's surprising to jump right off the plane and into the race. In fact, the whole team looked strong. It looks as though everyone is coming into form in time for my departure.
I'm happy to have all my skin to race another day here. It'll be my last one and they're calling for rain. I have to ride to the race today too with no support. I hope I feel good again, what a difference from that race in Oudenberg.
That wasn't even the scariest moment for me during the race. One of the roads was concrete with a seam running down the middle. You either rode on the left or right side, not too close to it. Everybody hopped over it. At one point I went to the right side of it and the rider in front of me came over just a moment later. He hooked the inside of his elbow on my brake lever and nearly pulled me down; I swerved all over the road at 25mph. It got a roar out of the guys behind us but that was it. He apologized and we shook hands.
I think there is good chance had that happened in the US the guy would have pulled me down and crash out 20 other people. Then an argument would break out and it would be ugly. But it's just in a day's racing here.
We also had a new rider for the race, Evan. He's fresh from Australia and looked really strong. It's surprising to jump right off the plane and into the race. In fact, the whole team looked strong. It looks as though everyone is coming into form in time for my departure.
I'm happy to have all my skin to race another day here. It'll be my last one and they're calling for rain. I have to ride to the race today too with no support. I hope I feel good again, what a difference from that race in Oudenberg.
No comments:
Post a Comment