Friday, June 13, 2008

The Belgian Torture Chamber

We had some typical Belgian weather for the race in Oudenberg. The weather reports promised rain and that certainly came. It didn't say anything about the wind howling across the polder but that is expected, right?

I should say that Belgium is full of wind turbines. It's a good thing to see, except when you're about to start a race and they're going faster than you've ever seen them go before. I knew it would be a hard race just based on that. And that racing is Belgium is hard regardless.

I suffered from what some would call a "bio-mechanical." My bike was fine. It was my body; it just didn't go like it is supposed to. I couldn't close gaps in the wind, which is critical ability racing here. I had no pop to shut down the 3 meter gaps that frequently appear. I'll just chalk it up to a bad day.

The coolest bit of the day was getting my lowest race bib ever, #2. Unfortunately it was one of those days that they use the plastic numbers and I had to return it. The race announcer also said my name and a bunch of stuff in Flemish but I'm assuming it wasn't great because I was already tail gunning at that point.

I'm squeezing in two more races before I go home. Hopefully I'll find some good legs for the races and do well. If all goes well the biggest challenge will be walking through the airport with my bike box and luggage because my legs are so smoked.

No comments: