Thursday, June 5, 2008

Derny Derny Derny


That's a derny. It's a special motorbike designed for cyclists to draft behind. It has abunch of different applications too; on the velodrome (bike racing track) in certain races, for training to get used to high speed without sharing work and killing yourself or even special races on the road that you chase your own derny around and try to beat everyone else. Sorry about the plastic bag at the bottom of the picture; it was rainy today and I got lazy.

The throttle on the derny are the pedals. The faster the driver pedals the faster the derny goes. Notice the huge gear in the front too. That keeps it from accelerate too quickly.

After the race Eddy insisted we (Jeremy, Jean, a Belgian and Andrew, a New Zealander that just arrived) trained behind the derny. There is a lot of talk of riding behind the derny. I think Eddy only thinks we should train behind the derny at high speed and high effort. I think we need to rest sometimes and today showed it. I would have been happy riding behind the derny at 24-25mph today for a bit but he put in sprints up to 34-35mph and I was feeling pretty smoked. I got pretty frustrated that I had no pop left in my legs but it stands to reason after yesterday. We also sprinted up over bridges and that really crushed me. Ooh did that hurt.

I think the derny has it's place in training. We were supposed to race tomorrow but the derny took those chances away. I don't think I could sprint at all when the time comes. I have enough of a problem at the end of the races already jumping. Does anyone have a copy of Joe Friel's training book I could give to Eddy? It would be preferable in Dutch or Flemish, but I'd settle on English. If not, I'll find a used copy and send it to him.

Right before we finished I starting cracking. I was in serious caloric deficit. Thankfully we got back to Eddy's house and his wife (whose name I still haven't caught even though she comes to every race) gave us bananas, tea and cake. We had a great time sitting around the kitchen table joking for about an hour.

On the way home I started cracking again. I guess I didn't fuel up enough. Even before I put my bike away I had a bowl of granola. And then I cracked walking to the market and had to buy a rice tart. I ate half of it. I'm not sure what it is but it is some sort of delicious pastry. I saved the other half for dessert tonight. And then I cracked on the way home. I busted in the door, dropped the groceries and immediately ate 2 peaches. And then we made a pretty big dinner. And I'll probably eat again later.

No comments: