There are a couple of interesting bits of cycling news. Triple G is hosting the Israeli National Mountain Bike Championships in a couple of weeks. They had the successful bid because the UCI race the team hosted back in March was such a success. It's pretty exciting news for the team. Hopefully it will be able to generate some revenue. The team is already established as putting on the really hard and well-run races.
I'm hoping to go race in Israel in June and July for the national road championships and then the Maccabiah. They're pretty close on the calendar. The Maccabiah is essentially the Jewish Olympics and as of now I'm in the running to represent the US. The guy organizing the team said we have some good riders with a bunch of experience in the US. It sounds like I might have the weakest race resume out of all of them. I've been feeling pretty good about myself too, so I hope that means we'll have a strong team.
In the last post I mentioned my grandmother as being a Holocaust survivor. That, coupled with my grandfather on the other side being a cyclist back in the 1920's and 1930's helped make me into the cyclist I am today. Bizarre you say? I think the survivor aspect is an important indicator of toughness and tenacity, a requirement for cycling that you can't really learn. I'm not saying that I experience anything in the same universe as my grandmother. Her life story should serve as 1) inspiration through adversity and 2) a warning to people in the future.
My grandfather's story is more pleasant. He raced back in the heyday of cycling when there were velodromes all over the country. There was even a velodrome in Madison Square Garden that he got to race on. His copy of Hearts of Lions, a history of cycling in the US, is full of underlines of all the guys he raced against and knew. Some of those guys have descendants now that still race.
All that said, I'll lay off the politics for this entry. I hope you're paying attention to all that is going on. The country certainly depends on electing Obama/Biden in 2008. The alternative would paint a grim picture for the future of this country and entire world.
Niv is doing great. He's heavier and more alert. His hair is getting long and curly. We think he may be smiling but it could be just gas. A lot of it too. Being home with him during the day is going pretty well. Yesterday was a bit tough; he opposed almost everything I tried to do quite loudly but on the whole he is delightful. Below are the latest pictures.
I'm hoping to go race in Israel in June and July for the national road championships and then the Maccabiah. They're pretty close on the calendar. The Maccabiah is essentially the Jewish Olympics and as of now I'm in the running to represent the US. The guy organizing the team said we have some good riders with a bunch of experience in the US. It sounds like I might have the weakest race resume out of all of them. I've been feeling pretty good about myself too, so I hope that means we'll have a strong team.
In the last post I mentioned my grandmother as being a Holocaust survivor. That, coupled with my grandfather on the other side being a cyclist back in the 1920's and 1930's helped make me into the cyclist I am today. Bizarre you say? I think the survivor aspect is an important indicator of toughness and tenacity, a requirement for cycling that you can't really learn. I'm not saying that I experience anything in the same universe as my grandmother. Her life story should serve as 1) inspiration through adversity and 2) a warning to people in the future.
My grandfather's story is more pleasant. He raced back in the heyday of cycling when there were velodromes all over the country. There was even a velodrome in Madison Square Garden that he got to race on. His copy of Hearts of Lions, a history of cycling in the US, is full of underlines of all the guys he raced against and knew. Some of those guys have descendants now that still race.
All that said, I'll lay off the politics for this entry. I hope you're paying attention to all that is going on. The country certainly depends on electing Obama/Biden in 2008. The alternative would paint a grim picture for the future of this country and entire world.
Niv is doing great. He's heavier and more alert. His hair is getting long and curly. We think he may be smiling but it could be just gas. A lot of it too. Being home with him during the day is going pretty well. Yesterday was a bit tough; he opposed almost everything I tried to do quite loudly but on the whole he is delightful. Below are the latest pictures.
1 comment:
I'm loving the pictures! The middle one is my favorite! I can't wait to see Niv again.
Post a Comment