The past couple of days have been exciting. I raced for the first time since Niv was born and I started my new job as full time father. But first I want to say something about the talking heads interviewing for the job in Washington, D.C.
I just watched Sarah Palin speech at the Republican National Convention. I think I'm dumber for it. She had almost no policy in the speech and took many cheap shots. She could have talked about John McCain's record in the Senate but said nothing. All she wanted to talk about was his term as a prisoner of war. Thanks for the heroism but I don't think that qualifies someone as a great leader.
My grandmother was in Nazi concentration camps for over four years. That makes her amazing and heroic for surviving and Niv is proof of that. But I'm certain I don't think that qualifies her to lead a country. After seeing what torture and imprisonment does to someone I think it actually disqualifies someone from leadership.
Palin probably didn't talk about McCain's record in the Senate because he is not a maverick. He votes with President Bush 95% of the time. He intentionally skipped voting for extension of solar energy credits while touting alternative energy on the campaign trail.
Palin talked about cutting taxes (which won't happen for anyone but the the rich) and talked about continuing a losing war. Nobody wins war. Who is going to pay for it anyway? Donations from the rich? Victory is in sight? We already lost. War is no longer fought for victory.
It is clear the Republicans speak to the lowest common denominator. It is a smart tactic but it involves saying nearly nothing for long stretches of time, making no commitments to policy and attacks based on fallacies.
This election is working me into a lather. Our future hangs in the balance.
As for the bicycle race, I really buried myself. I lost some fitness but I have new motivation from Niv. I was able to be involved in the race and not just sit on the back. I think I finished 7th or 8th. My average heart rate was 10 beats over the point that I stop using oxygen to burn energy and function anaerobically. That was for a half hour too. Ouch.
I think my legs and lungs will come around pretty quickly once I start real training again. Niv is making it easy to do it too.
My first day as full time father was great. Niv was pretty mellow although he came close to melting down waiting for Shiri to come home and feed him. I think this is going to be a great job. And I don't have to please a country full of half-wits to get it.
I just watched Sarah Palin speech at the Republican National Convention. I think I'm dumber for it. She had almost no policy in the speech and took many cheap shots. She could have talked about John McCain's record in the Senate but said nothing. All she wanted to talk about was his term as a prisoner of war. Thanks for the heroism but I don't think that qualifies someone as a great leader.
My grandmother was in Nazi concentration camps for over four years. That makes her amazing and heroic for surviving and Niv is proof of that. But I'm certain I don't think that qualifies her to lead a country. After seeing what torture and imprisonment does to someone I think it actually disqualifies someone from leadership.
Palin probably didn't talk about McCain's record in the Senate because he is not a maverick. He votes with President Bush 95% of the time. He intentionally skipped voting for extension of solar energy credits while touting alternative energy on the campaign trail.
Palin talked about cutting taxes (which won't happen for anyone but the the rich) and talked about continuing a losing war. Nobody wins war. Who is going to pay for it anyway? Donations from the rich? Victory is in sight? We already lost. War is no longer fought for victory.
It is clear the Republicans speak to the lowest common denominator. It is a smart tactic but it involves saying nearly nothing for long stretches of time, making no commitments to policy and attacks based on fallacies.
This election is working me into a lather. Our future hangs in the balance.
As for the bicycle race, I really buried myself. I lost some fitness but I have new motivation from Niv. I was able to be involved in the race and not just sit on the back. I think I finished 7th or 8th. My average heart rate was 10 beats over the point that I stop using oxygen to burn energy and function anaerobically. That was for a half hour too. Ouch.
I think my legs and lungs will come around pretty quickly once I start real training again. Niv is making it easy to do it too.
My first day as full time father was great. Niv was pretty mellow although he came close to melting down waiting for Shiri to come home and feed him. I think this is going to be a great job. And I don't have to please a country full of half-wits to get it.
1 comment:
Hey man, I totally agree with you... Palin had some nice cheap shots!
Post a Comment