It was a frustrating day. Registration opened late, the race started late and results took over an hour to post. I ended up tied for 6th, three seconds down on 5th. I think I could have made up those three seconds if, 1) there wasn't somebody that wasn't racing on the inside of a long sweeping turn at the same time as me and, 2) a sharp downhill turn was marked to indicate which side of a traffic island one should take. And of course I could have made up more time if I had ridden harder too but I'm not so sure that could have happened. I'm pretty sure my good warm-up wore off standing around at the late start. Maybe I just got to the finish late.
On Sunday I raced the Donovan-Ruhlman Memorial Crit in Naugatuck, CT. The course is a triangle with downhill turn, a turn over a bunch of manhole covers and a pretty sharp turn back to the start finish that happened to be into the wind. The course was just under a mile and we were doing 56 laps. I thought it was a pretty cool course. With 40 or so laps go I though I wasn't going to finish. I felt terrible. I was sitting at the back fighting to get to the front and I couldn't seem to do it.
I'm all the way on the left side of the picture with my distinct red and white helmet. I think only two guys from the picture made it across and I'm one of them. Good thing I stopped hanging out at the back with them.
I'm somewhere in the video. I think it's from pretty early in the race.
Towards the end of the race the attacks starting going. With 6 laps to go my legs starting cramping and I tried to relax as much as possible but that meant I couldn't follow any attacks. In the end 7 guys went off the front of my group and I rolled in for 20 overall. I didn't have much pop at the end but I was happy to have made it across. It was a good effort considering I didn't think I was going to last half the race. I think the pictures will tell more of the story.
No comments:
Post a Comment