Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Gl-Ostracized

This past weekend I had to do the elite race at Gloucester because the category 3 race filled months ago and I didn't jump on it. Gloucester is one of the staples of American cycling, up there with Fitchburg and Somerville. That said, there are some heavy hitters. I wasn't racing so much. I was mostly trying to survive like last weekend but in a different discipline.

Despite the race going incredibly fast, it was incredibly fun. The fans were crazy and the course was one of the best I've ever been on. It was right up against the Atlantic Ocean with fast turns that you could really rail. The fans were also handing out money from the beer garden. I made $3, which was good because I was certainly not going to make money from placing. Every time a racer grabbed some cash, the fans went nuts - there was a double incentive.

I think I'm in a picture on Cycling News for the first time. It's of my rear end. I'm on the left in that shot. There's another one with me later in that sequence but it's blurry and I'm in the back. I'm pretty sure it's blurry because we were going ludicrous speed.

Below is a video of a program in Malmo, Sweden to get people to ride bikes instead of drive. It's pretty balsy of them, or maybe something gets lost in translation. Imagine doing something like this in the States.

No ridiculous car trips from Martin Lang on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Sivya said...

congrats on the $3 - that sounds like a fun way to liven up the race!

that video was awesome! thanks for sharing. could shiri understand it all without the subtitles?