But there is good news! Election season also = cyclocross season. So if you want to get away from the insanity, go to a cyclocross race.
I went to the Downeast Cyclocross races in Maine with Greg and Beth. I'm skipping the chronological race report in favor of summary of learning experiences. Because if you're not learning from your race experiences you're doing it wrong. And you'll never get better. I raced the elite races and finished on the lead lap in race #1 and just missed finishing on the lead lap in race #2. They were 30th and 31st place, respectively.
Now what did I learn? Riding in a group with other people is way faster, even if you're suffering more. Kill yourself to sit on that wheel. I ended up riding by myself halfway through both races. Ouch. Who wants to use their brain to pace themselves? I'm using enough brainpower to figure out how to handle my bicycle.
Stupid things will happen. Try to limit their effects. Example #1: I pulled very low numbers both races (even though my race number was #1) which meant I started at the back. I fought as far up as I could on the easy to ride pavement. But so did everyone else. At least I didn't hit the grass dead last. Example #2: Somebody fell down right in front of me. T-bone! I stopped dead. Two or three guys passed right then. I just had to go harder and burn matches. Example #3: Don't take silly risks early (or late). I tried to cut a corner on the inside. I ended up in mud and slid out. I didn't advance the positions I wanted to. I actually lost ground. There's probably more silly stuff. But you get the idea.
Establish yourself in a good spot on the first lap. Don't play games; go hard, get in a good group. That was going OK until one of the above mentioned (or unmentioned things happened). Redline lap one. Settle in. Then try to beat them as the end game approaches. I didn't get an opportunity for the last part.
Barriers. Maintaining position.
(B2C2 video)
I went to the Downeast Cyclocross races in Maine with Greg and Beth. I'm skipping the chronological race report in favor of summary of learning experiences. Because if you're not learning from your race experiences you're doing it wrong. And you'll never get better. I raced the elite races and finished on the lead lap in race #1 and just missed finishing on the lead lap in race #2. They were 30th and 31st place, respectively.
Now what did I learn? Riding in a group with other people is way faster, even if you're suffering more. Kill yourself to sit on that wheel. I ended up riding by myself halfway through both races. Ouch. Who wants to use their brain to pace themselves? I'm using enough brainpower to figure out how to handle my bicycle.
Stupid things will happen. Try to limit their effects. Example #1: I pulled very low numbers both races (even though my race number was #1) which meant I started at the back. I fought as far up as I could on the easy to ride pavement. But so did everyone else. At least I didn't hit the grass dead last. Example #2: Somebody fell down right in front of me. T-bone! I stopped dead. Two or three guys passed right then. I just had to go harder and burn matches. Example #3: Don't take silly risks early (or late). I tried to cut a corner on the inside. I ended up in mud and slid out. I didn't advance the positions I wanted to. I actually lost ground. There's probably more silly stuff. But you get the idea.
Establish yourself in a good spot on the first lap. Don't play games; go hard, get in a good group. That was going OK until one of the above mentioned (or unmentioned things happened). Redline lap one. Settle in. Then try to beat them as the end game approaches. I didn't get an opportunity for the last part.
Barriers. Maintaining position.
(B2C2 video)
Stay out of the course tape. I got a little tangled up. Some fans came to my rescue and pulled my 30 foot tail out as I rode by. Thanks!
So what did I do right? I ate well and was nicely fueled. That was my undoing at Gloucester. Good work belly. And thanks to the Maine Cycling Club for having baked potatoes topped with veggie chili. I've been bike handling better than ever before. I killed myself starting at three laps to go both days to hold on. I keep having mid-race lulls where I don't really kill it. If I could only find a way to kill it the whole time...
On the home front, we are almost at a week without diapers during the day. Lots of peeing and pooping in the toilet. And sometimes peeing on trees. The average age to start potty training is 27 months. Niv is 26 months now.



No comments:
Post a Comment