This weekend a lot of things happened for the first time. I raced cyclocross in the snow for the first time. Niv went to his first cyclocross race. So did Shiri. Niv saw snow for the first time. Niv rolled over for the first time. He went swimming for the first time.
Something that repeated this weekend is that I didn't get first in the race in the snow in Palmer. I got twenty first. I continue to think that my legs are good but everything else falls apart. I also think I can handle most obstacles well, like the barriers and run-ups. I dropped my chain twice during the race and my cleats and pedals filled with sticky mud. The mud in the works made it hard to get on the bike after the barriers and run-ups. I lost a ton of time on account of all of these mechanical foul-ups.
The course was also very difficult. It had roots waiting to pinch-flat your tires. That made you want to put more pressure in your tires. It also had icy grass and mud that made you want to take some of that pressure out. I opted for higher pressure that resulted in less-than-confident cornerning. But I didn't flat. That would have taken away much more time.
I passed somebody during the race and said something about the course being so difficult. He replied that he thinks he broke a finger. I'm glad it didn't take that much of a toll on me.
Each one of these races is a serious learning experience. One more week for me in this fine season for me to learn a bit more.
Something that repeated this weekend is that I didn't get first in the race in the snow in Palmer. I got twenty first. I continue to think that my legs are good but everything else falls apart. I also think I can handle most obstacles well, like the barriers and run-ups. I dropped my chain twice during the race and my cleats and pedals filled with sticky mud. The mud in the works made it hard to get on the bike after the barriers and run-ups. I lost a ton of time on account of all of these mechanical foul-ups.
The course was also very difficult. It had roots waiting to pinch-flat your tires. That made you want to put more pressure in your tires. It also had icy grass and mud that made you want to take some of that pressure out. I opted for higher pressure that resulted in less-than-confident cornerning. But I didn't flat. That would have taken away much more time.
I passed somebody during the race and said something about the course being so difficult. He replied that he thinks he broke a finger. I'm glad it didn't take that much of a toll on me.
Each one of these races is a serious learning experience. One more week for me in this fine season for me to learn a bit more.
2 comments:
i heard about the swimming-i didn't hear about niv rolling over for the first time! and there have to be some pictures from the weekend...
glad you didn't break a finger or anything else...hopefully this coming weekend's last cyclocross race for you will be a great one!!
I didn't know Niv swam for the first time. Where did he go swimming? Did he like it?
Post a Comment