Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Arts Section

Book Review

I have two book recommendations. You may be asking, "How do you have time to read if Niv is only four months old?" First, he goes to sleep these days at around 7pm and Shiri and I look at each other, clueless on how to use our new free time. Second, I've had great little windows of peaceful time with him, including feedings and naps.

These won't be real reviews. I'm just telling you to read these books. The first is Slumberland by Paul Beatty. He started out as a poet and now has three novels. Slumberland is incredibly well written and entertaining. I was blown away. Some might not like the plot and content but that's too bad for you because he is an incredible writer. It's about a DJ looking for the ultimate beat. Danny (of cyclocross race attending fame of a few weeks ago) put me on to this book. Go read it.

The second book is A Dog in a Hat by Joe Parkin. It is a memoir of an American moving from amateur to professional racing in Belgium in the late 1980's. The first ten pages of the book reminded quite a lot of my time in Belgium. After that Parkin describes his time as a pro (which I am not) and experiences diverge but it is nonetheless interesting and entertaining. It paints a good picture of life as a bike racer. After reading this book I was once again motivated to have a kick-ass season.

Slightly related, I found this website of climbs in Belgium.

Visual Art

In June I had a terrible race in Oudenberg, Belgium. The one redeeming thing about the day was this picture:
Getting stomped in Oudenberg

And now back to Connecticut last month. Half of my landlord team, Hal, saw me come home from a training ride. He said that I would make a great subject for a drawing. Hal is an accomplished artist with all sorts of original work hanging in his house.

I gave sent Hal that picture from Oudenberg. He then made this (pardon the photograph of a painting):


I think it's a great picture. I can't wait to hang it up.

Performing Arts

Andy Samberg of Saturday Night Live fame came out with a new video recently. It's hysterical. After seeing it, I did some research on said funnyman and came up with his original comedy troupe, The Lonely Island. I'll put them on the same level of funny as Dave Chapelle and Jon Stewart. You should go watch all of the videos. Just empty your bladder first.

This past weekend we went to a wedding and Niv got to hang out with his cousin Boaz. It was cute to see them interact. Niv actually looked at Boaz. That was a first. Boaz was already happy to see Niv for a few months. The proof is below.


There's a little mischeviousness in every kid I guess.


I promise I wasn't going to wake Niv up, I swear.


What up, cousin? This is how you rock the Rombino.


Where the ladies at to help me fill this bed?


Crazy Uncle Avi has a really sunny lap.


Everyone wants to be in the pictures with Niv.


One kid knows what a camera does, one doesn't.


Freeze! That's enough tummy time for you.

2 comments:

Sivya said...

thanks for the book recommendations - i'll check them out! i LOVE the painting-that's awesome! and of course, the pictures are wonderful. sorry we weren't with you guys this weekend.

Unknown said...

Well, Friedman's, you guys have made my home news page now that I just piped in your blog. And, this is my first blogging experience. Niv looks beautifully great, and glad to see that you guys are having a good time. Happy Channuka!
Noah & Ella