Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Send Us Your Ducats!

For Galilee Cycles has a new website to streamline donations. It's here on IsraelGives.org. Go to the site and send us some of your hard-earned but charitable dollars so we can continue to be the premier junior development cycling team in Israel.

I wasn't so motivated to post any race report after this weekend, but here goes. I did the Connecticut Stage Race. I had a good time trial there last year and then the rest fell apart. I didn't even post about it last year. This year I had a really crappy time trial (I flatted) and then a decent circuit race. I tried to conserve energy for the road race, which is where the real splits happen. If you lose thirty seconds in the time trial you could gain it all back in the road race with a little work.

I was trying to conserve energy for as long as I could for the road race. I was kicking it at the back of the peloton as we descended to the steel-grate bridge that the promoter said we could go across full speed, wet or dry (it was wet when we arrived). I had a great view at the back of what happened next. A couple of guys crashed. I adjusted. A few more crashed. More adjustments. Then everyone crashed. I got to the edge of the bridge and walked across through a battlefield of wounded.

The peloton regrouped and I started to ride to catch back on. Then I turned around because I would have felt like crap if I didn't try help out the guys bleeding everywhere. The race didn't matter anymore. I grabbed some medical supplies from the official's car and started passing them out. I got to see some guy's bones. Oy. When everything seemed under control I rode on with a former teammate.

Eventually a small group formed. And then it started pouring rain. It may have been the heaviest rain I've ever ridden in. One guy in the group said it was like riding into a hose. And then we got lost because all the marshals took cover from the rain. The officials nullified the stage because it was such a mess. Really, this all happened.

No comments: