Friday, October 7, 2011

The 99%

I spent my morning helping out at Occupy Boston. I wasn't screaming or holding signs or getting maced, because there's more than that to keeping the operation going. And I think it was too early in the day for any of that. I tried to organize the mountains of donations the camp received so they can accommodate untold numbers of people that want to see some change in our current system.

I've been waiting a long time for a grass roots movement to start and try to shake the foundation of our corporation-governed and funded country. There is no way that the Occupy movement can be compared to the Tea Party, although that's what's happening. The Tea Party is a bunch of very rich people concerned about losing power and wealth. They enlist the masses with convoluted statements to make them believe that the money and power should remain where they are. The Occupy movement is run by real people that understand that conditions will only continue to deteriorate if we keep abdicating our power to the corporations.

Additionally, to be part of the top 1% of the earners of this country, you need to make about $380,000 a year. And if you can make that much, you can probably afford to help out your neighbors. The income inequality in this country is approaching third world proportions.

Those against the movement say to just get a job. Lots of people that are protesting already have jobs. Chances are if you're saying that you're just a hack for the rich, complacent enough on the meager cast-offs of the corporations to feel like you're really making it, while in reality you're crapping on your own and everyone else's chance at a better life.

Go out and participate in whatever city you're in. Help for an hour, stay for a week, bring some supplies, whatever you can spare or do. The movement started in New York City, but last I checked, there are camps in over 800 cities.


Keith Olbermann reads the objectives of the movement.

 

Can I help you choose something to read? Perhaps The Year of the Heroic Guerilla?

No comments: