Thursday, August 12, 2010

Blair Witches Cup Project

Hey Massachusetts, I know you're an insider's club. You don't divulge information so easily or welcome newcomers. But I'm from New York, a place where if you make even a halfhearted attempt to be part of it, you can be part of the vibrations of the city. One of your most frustrating examples of the club is not putting up street signs. If you don't know how to get where you're going, you aren't allowed to go.

Again, there are myriad excuses for the thoughtless roads, like they're cow paths. But I haven't seen a cow. Or that each town wants to keep its identity so Washington St. turns into Lincoln St. back into Washington St. in the matter of a mile and half. Since colonial times, a lot has changed, so why Massachusetts, do you cling to crappy infrastructure?

With that, I set out for Salem by bicycle to race the Witches Cup, a crit around the Salem Common. Below are my directions from Google Bike Maps:

Forty six turns (I think) got me there. Although I did lose the path in Salem and figured it out from there. My brain was half-melted from the focus it took to follow directions, try to find street signs and trying not to get hit by a car. And then I had to race in my first real crit of the year.

The first fifteen minutes were really, really hard. I wondered if I'd be able to do it for another forty five minutes. I was having a tough time finding good lines and accelerating out of every corner. I wasn't holding position very well. But I managed to not get spit out the back. I

guess some time after the break went I started feeling better (maybe the peloton slowed too) and I moved up. With two laps to go I accidentally shifter out of the big ring and went backwards fast. My left fingers were curled in a death grip and couldn't shift back. I had to reach over with my right hand and get back in the big ring. And with that I finished at the back. My legs (and fingers) didn't work but at least my brain did, allowing me to not get dropped. With that, I still did nothing and was pack fodder. But it was good training at least.


Nap 1, Niv 0.


Birthdays!


Yankee fans in Boston.


The start of year three.


No, we don't eat those.

If I get a little closer, I can swim with the horseshoe crab.


Go Penguins!

1 comment:

Sivya said...

love the photos - waiting for the next post!!