Wednesday, May 28, 2008

First Thing is First

I got to Belgium despite the threatening thunderstorms. I'm at my residence for three weeks in Gent. I have one Tasmanian house mate and one Lithuanian house mate so far. There are a bunch of critters outside the house - chickens, ducks, rabbits and whatever else scurries onto the farm.

My first full conversation upon arrival in Belgium was in Hebrew. The immigration official saw my Israeli passport stamps and started speaking Hebrew. It was a pleasant surprise.

Gas here is about $8 a gallon! Sweet! Somebody wants to kick the habit. One of the pictures I intend to get is of one of the huge bike parking lots.

The other picture I'll have to get is of the what is supposed to pass for the staircase to my room. I think it is really a ladder.

I'm pretty tired. I'm excited to sleep in a bed tonight. Last night I had a whole row on the plane which is as good as you could hope but it doesn't quite match a bed. After some rest I'll be able to take all the pictures you want to see and write more about being here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You made it! I'm glad to hear that you arrived in one piece and your bike in as many pieces as you expected. Can't wait to see pics of the lovely ghent city-center and belgian country.