I finally got it. It has been nine years since I won a race on the road, but I scored a win today. What a relief. This is the first real race recap I'm doing in a while because I know why most people come here. It's to see my kids. I think.
It wasn't like I won a national championship today. It was just the local crit at Wells Ave. I won in a way that I imagined I would, from a smaller break and sprinting out of said break for the win. It played out perfectly.
Early in the race I attacked a few times, opened nice gaps but had no help. No one came along. Back to the peloton I went eventually each time. I did win the coveted Shaklee prime on one attack. After seeing the writing on the wall, I changed tactics. I sat and waited for other people's moves.
With about twelve laps to go, a group of about eight went. I bridged with another guy and thought that this would be it, although the peloton decided to start chasing us. We got caught but very soon after the bell rang for a prime and a small group got a gap with six to go. I attacked the prime hard, won it and kept rolling. Three guys came along, two from the same team and that was it. All three of the other guys had a lot of teammates in the field and I'm sure they had a hand in not encouraging a chase.
We rotated well and maintained a gap. On the final lap, one rider was trying to set up his teammate with a lead-out. I sat third wheel, confident that I could win the sprint from there. We rounded the final bend and I waited a few beats longer that I normally would before I opened up my sprint. I really turned myself inside-out because I wanted to win so badly for so many reasons.
I came home with a couple of bottles of beer, the bucket of Shaklee recovery mix (which needed replenishing in my cupboard) and $25 more than when I started. It's not a huge haul but it's the win that counts. Also don't get the idea that this is the biggest race in the world, because it's not, but a win is a win.
It wasn't like I won a national championship today. It was just the local crit at Wells Ave. I won in a way that I imagined I would, from a smaller break and sprinting out of said break for the win. It played out perfectly.
Early in the race I attacked a few times, opened nice gaps but had no help. No one came along. Back to the peloton I went eventually each time. I did win the coveted Shaklee prime on one attack. After seeing the writing on the wall, I changed tactics. I sat and waited for other people's moves.
With about twelve laps to go, a group of about eight went. I bridged with another guy and thought that this would be it, although the peloton decided to start chasing us. We got caught but very soon after the bell rang for a prime and a small group got a gap with six to go. I attacked the prime hard, won it and kept rolling. Three guys came along, two from the same team and that was it. All three of the other guys had a lot of teammates in the field and I'm sure they had a hand in not encouraging a chase.
We rotated well and maintained a gap. On the final lap, one rider was trying to set up his teammate with a lead-out. I sat third wheel, confident that I could win the sprint from there. We rounded the final bend and I waited a few beats longer that I normally would before I opened up my sprint. I really turned myself inside-out because I wanted to win so badly for so many reasons.
I came home with a couple of bottles of beer, the bucket of Shaklee recovery mix (which needed replenishing in my cupboard) and $25 more than when I started. It's not a huge haul but it's the win that counts. Also don't get the idea that this is the biggest race in the world, because it's not, but a win is a win.






3 comments:
CONGRATS JOSH! A win is awesome! So proud of you!
Great photos of the kiddies too! Miss you guys!!
Great job, Josh! Also, great shots of Lital.
awesome. congrats, many more
Post a Comment