Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What's Really Bad and What's Really Good

I'll start with really crappy and crazy stuff because that's the order I like it, so you should too. Last Thursday in New Haven, Mitch, of the guys from The Devil's Gear, the bike shop in New Haven that I frequented and still have many close friends at, was murdered in his home. I'm still baffled. It is entirely senseless. Maybe that's why I feel like this. David from the shop said that when someone does something like this, they have no idea how many people it impacts. So true.

And from the tragedy of Mitch, may his memory be a blessing, to better things. Yesterday was our first official day without a car. Our car was just sitting costing us money because we walk, bike or take public transportation 99% of the time. Financially it made sense. Environmentally it makes sense too. In celebration Niv and I rode to a forest and went for a hike today.

One shared car (think Zipcar) is used by 15-20 people. There are eight parking spots for every car in the US. Eventually, we could have more usable space for people and less for climate controlled wheelchairs if you cut the umbilical cord to your car. I said it. It'll make you wealthier, happier and healthier. I promise. And circling back a little, you're more likely to be killed by a stranger in the suburbs than in the inner city. Why? Because of car accidents.

Lital is now 50% bigger in just two months. And now the happy pictures.


First smiles caught on camera.


They teamed up on me! And until I saw this picture, I didn't realize how tiny the kids are.


Who knew a rubber band could bring the human skull back 50,000 years?

2 comments:

Sivya said...

the pictures are precious. they make me smile!

sorry about your friend-that's just horrible.

palevskid said...

Dude - I tried to compare the new smiley photo of Lital with an early one of Niv, and it took me like ages to go through your posts... finally I found 'Instant Classic #2' and looks like they are dead-ringers for one another.

What an amazing diary you have here, buddy. Thanks for sharing.