Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Mayor

The new bike is a hit. Niv loves it. So do most other people that see us cruising or locking up the bike, especially if they're not driving. They're mostly scared, 1) because they don't know how to properly handle their car and they're afraid of killing two thirds of a family, and 2) they think I have a death wish for two thirds of a family (I don't). My advice to those drivers is 1) get off the phone, 2) get out of your car and 3) try getting somewhere with some other form of transportation and see the world.

Yesterday we rode to the zoo and got super lost going and coming. Really lost. I have no idea how to get back to the places we were type of lost. If Niv was strapped into the car he would have flipped out. But because he was part of the world around him, he was into the whole ride.

The most common question is "did you build that yourself?" No I didn't. People are smarter and more creative than me, but I know a good idea when I see it. Somehow the bike makes us more approachable. The public loves us or hates us (the drivers); there is no middle ground. I think I could run for public office on the platform that I ride the bike around and probably win.

And now for the audience participation part of the program. What do we call this thing? It's not an authentic, low-country, polder navigating bakfiets. It's a little more special than a cargo bike. We also need a name to bandy about the house. Shiri - "are you taking your city bike or your X bike?" Josh - "I'm taking the X bike." What is that X? Abba (that's father in Hebrew) bike? Green-pile-of-awesomeness-that-will-crush-the soul-of-all-motor-vehicles? Feel free to add a write in vote in the comments. If we choose your name I'll take you for a spin.

In other news, the Hebrew Cyclocross Cup is in full swing. I have a new season goal. I will win. And riding the bike-to-be-named-later will get me my secret training miles I need to capture the cup, or bag of challah, or whatever the prize is. It should help. The package is at least eighty pounds more than a normal bicycle set-up (boy + bicycle + bags).

2 comments:

mike said...

i think by naming this blog post you have named your babymover.

Unknown said...

Josh - It's Mary Beth...I suggest The Bucket Bike. That way Shiri can say, "Are you taking the Bucket? Don't forget Niv!" :-)