I've neglected to report on a few races, one of which was probably my best performance of the season. Last year I did pretty well at Warwick, RI and the NBX Grand Prix. This year was really cold again but without the snow.
And just like last year I had a terrible start. I put my right foot down on my pedal at the gun and somehow ended up pedaling one revolution backwards. Fortunately there is a quarter mile of pavement before the first beach section. I took advantage to get back in the field and cut the first corner on the inside so I didn't have to ride at the back. Once we hit the beach and ran like crazy to steal a few more spots. I didn't even blow up from the effort.
The groups on course got sorted out and I figured I was riding around 25th place or so. The guys at the front went to have their own battle. I tried to stay upright and ride smart. And I did. It was probably the best technical race I've ever had. After catching a few more people my legs started to give out about 45 minutes into the race. I was about to ride into 22nd place but couldn't catch him on the pavement. That's a bad sign; I was only about 3 seconds back. That's where I should make up time.
All the guys I caught came back to me. I had a fight on my hands. Fortunately, one guy took himself out. But then two others attacked on a tricky section and it was the end for me. I rolled in alone. The true victory for me was finishing a UCI race on the lead lap. True, I was 7 minutes down on the leader, but he went on to get 8th at the national championship. But he didn't lap me and neither did anyone else.
The next weekend I did the Beer Cross finals. It was the same venue as the race I won earlier in the season. I got there in time for the promoter to tell me that if I run back to the car and get dressed that I can do the race at noon (which was in 10 minutes) and 2pm. I got my hustle on and rolled back to the start.
I had no warm-up or pre-ride. My tip of the day is always pre-ride the course. I didn't and it cost me the first race. I slipped in a slick section that was changed slightly from the first time I did the race. I got 2nd. The gap the winner had on me was what I staked him on the first lap by falling down. I think he was much better on the technical bits of the course because the spectators told me I went at least 2-3mph faster through the start finish. I have no doubt I was stronger, just not smarter or smoother.
It started raining for the second race. It was just above freezing, which makes the worst possible weather. The second race was a bit of a disaster. But it did make for my 43rd race of the season. That eclipses my mark of 42 races in 2006. And I got $20 and a sweet t-shirt. I'm wearing it as I write.
And now we're wrapping up a visit with one of the blog's top fans, Sivy. It has been a great visit and Niv had fun hanging out with Aunt Sivy and Uncle Keith. Once the ice thawed from the street the riding here in eastern Washington was delightful. I'm getting used to doing long rides again. Stay tuned for more updates from our west coast tour.
Below are some pictures from back east that I was too lazy to post earlier.
Niv the magician can make anything stand up on its own.
1 comment:
thanks for the shout out! we miss you guys a lot! hope you're having fun in portland.
and i can't wait for some of my photos to make their debut!!
is the riding in portland better than the riding in the tri-cities?!?
Post a Comment