Wednesday, September 16, 2009

CX!

We can't find our camera. Otherwise we would have taken new pictures of Niv, the pile of trees that I cut down from our yard (they were all saplings growing on top of each other and didn't have a chance to mature, plus I'm using most of the what I cut down (you'll see that in a future post if we find the camera). And using an ax is fun.), the butter I made, the incredibly hideous sneakers I got and the saddle I split in half warming up for my first cyclocross race.

The race went pretty well for the first one of the season. Before the race I jumped back on my bike after some barriers and heard a big crack. My saddle finally failed after 12+ years of use. That's not too bad. But I still had to race. I found a cardboard box, ripped off a bit and shoved it under my saddle to keep it together. It was a non-factor for the race.

I had my best start ever. I also got to the start 25 minutes early to line up at the front. My critical error that cost me the race came on the first lap. Somebody fell on a slippery corner and I thought, 'I won't do that.' Yes, I did do that too. The leaders rode away. In the end I was in a group of 3. I hit them hard on the open sections, only to have them catch up on the technical sections. In the end I beat them both for 8th place. I was pretty happy with it.

Niv seems to be going crazy with development. He walks more and more every day and says all kinds of stuff we can't understand plus a couple of things we can. Maybe we'll get a video of him walking and talking at the same time. If we find the camera.


This clearly isn't from our camera. But I am clearly racing fast on my way to 8th place.

More race photos here, here, here, here, and here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thoroughly intrigued by the fact that you made butter. How'd you do it?