Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Mudfest 2012

If you haven't been outside for the last four weeks or so, let me tell you that it has been raining. A bunch. And on the weekends when bicycle races happen. And bicycle races in the fall are cyclocross races, which means mud. I haven't experience so much mud in my life. Neither have my bicycles.

When I got back on my cyclocross bike at the end of September, it was in good shape. Nothing really wore out last season. Seven races later (one of which was dry, way back in September) and the bike was a mess, although it got me through the mud bog of Downeast while lots of other people didn't (and got me into the UCI prize money for the first time in a long time).

I replaced the cables, brake pads, chain and derailleur pulleys last night. Today it felt like a new bike. I also picked tiny bits of Maine, Rhode Island and Massachusetts out of the deep, dark crevices that I had previously missed, although I couldn't identify what was from where.

I ran full length housing from the top tube to the rear derailleur. I think you should too. It'll keep your shifting good in crappy conditions. If I was riding my own frame, and not one graciously provided by The Devil's Gear, I would have drilled out the stops and run the housing on through, but I opted to just zip-tie it on the seatstay.




Downeast, on the power-mud day. Less sticky, more solid.




Slipping in the mud so you can get a good look at the logo. And in Cyclingnews, no less. What you don't see is everyone falling down in front of me.



Slick mud in Providence. Thanks to Scott for this one.


Derailleur pulleys on the right are new. The ones on the left are WORN OUT. What you can't see here is the play in them.


You see that polished silver near-circle? That's supposed to be black, but when you fill your derailleur with mud every day, that happens, even if you clean it out each time. Good news! It's lighter! With more clearance for mud!



Mostly smiles, with a little bit of poop-face. And mud free.


We're still reaping the benefits of our trip to Amsterdam.

No comments: