No, no old, stinky houmous here. Just the last bit from my trip, five days after I got back. Working backwards, the weather on my last day was terrible. I rode the trainer for an hour. It's a bummer, but in light of the rides earlier in the week, I can't complain.
On Tuesday morning we had delightful weather. The team has organized training down in the Hula (with the gutteral 'ch' sound, so it's not Hawaiian) Valley. We left Zivon at zero-dark-hundred and drove down. Training is fully-pro setup. Ido drives the team car behind the double-file paceline as we head towards our training grounds. He has instructions for us at each transition in the program. Everyone shows up in team kit. You have to be on a super-elite team in the US to get this treatment.
The training in the morning was perfect - good roads, good weather, good company. I felt good despite doing 7 hours and over 3,000 meters of climbing the day before. After we wrapped up our two hours on the bike, we continued with stretching as a team and time at a coffee shop. Usually I'm against sitting around in a chamois, but this was a special occasion. I leave the chamois-sitting to those that ride for the sake of drinking espresso in expensive kit.
As everyone headed off to work, I decided to get some extra time and ride back home, out of the valley. I did an extra 2 hours and about 1,000 meters of climbing, out of the warm weather and back into winter.
Thanks to everyone who helped make all of this happen. Now back to real life.
The last day's ride profile.
This is how to start a season.

No comments:
Post a Comment